Common Core: What Does My Child Need To Know? (Common Core Part 3)

Common Core - What Does My Child Need To Know

Common Core is the new national education objectives that are currently in 45 states*.  We have discussed What is Common Core?  How will it affect my child?  and What can I do to prepare my child for Common Core?  We also have posted sample test questions for the new assessment.  In this part of our Common Core series, we are answering the question: What does my child need to know for Common Core?

Each grade level has certain things they need to know at that grade level in math and English Language Arts/Literacy.  Your child will be tested on these things starting in the 2014-2015 school year.  Below you will find parent-friendly versions of these objectives for grades kindergarten – fifth grade.

I have revised this section of the post.

Parent-Friendly Standards From Teacher’s Hero.

*Want to know if your state is participating in Common Core?  Check out the end of the post: What is Common Core? to see if your state is listed.

To see the Common Core standards in their entirety, please visit corestandards.org.

More Resources

What Is Common Core? (parent-friendly)

Common Core Practice Test

Common Core Sample Test Questions

Parent-Friendly Middle School and High School Common Core Standards

Free Common Core Teaching Resources

Click here to follow me on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest.

Related Posts:
What is Common Core? (Common Core Part 1)
Common Core Sample Test Questions (Common Core Part 2)
FREE Common Core Teaching Resources
Middle School And High School Kid Friendly Common Core Standards

Reading Assessment For My Child
Increasing Critical Thinking Skills Through Brain Teasers
Online Reading Games for Preschool Through Second Grade
How Do I Help My Child Become A Better Reader?
High Level Math, Science, and Test Prep Practice Online

35 Thoughts on “Common Core: What Does My Child Need To Know? (Common Core Part 3)

1. BMorisseau on March 4, 2013 at 1:26 pm said:

When I click on a grade level above, it appears as though the link is blocked. I am very interested in seeing your parent-friendly CCSS. Please help!

2. These links do not connect. It says “Cannot connect to the configuration database.” Are there other links?

3. Do you have any samples of a progress report for kindergarten? We have re-configured our progress report to meet the CCSS, but it is NOT parent friendly and includes many other standards that are not expected to be mastered in Kindergarten. We are trying to assess with fidelity the CCSS, yet it seems very ‘relative’ on some standards as to how to assess without being subjective. Help?

4. Bridget on March 16, 2013 at 1:59 pm said:

Hi, would you have a 1st grade sample progress report to share?
    Thanks;)

5. Amber on March 19, 2013 at 3:52 am said:

Do you have this format for grades 6-8, by any chance?

6. Amber on March 20, 2013 at 6:57 pm said:

Yay! Thank you SO much:)

7. Paris on April 10, 2013 at 3:25 pm said:

I loved your original Parent Friendly Common Core Standards and I you had on your website prior to revising them. I had printed them for my staff meeting today but for some reason I lost the Third Grade One. Is there any way that you can send me a copy of the original third grade ELA and Math Common Core Standards so I can share it with my staff? Your help is truly appreciated!

8. Pingback: We CAN Common Core Standandards | carrielineman12

9. Varada on June 24, 2013 at 10:39 pm said:

Thanks for the Parent-Friendly Standards. Most especially, thanks for allowing us (educators) to print this for free. It will definitely be used to enrich my handout package at our annual Meet-the-Teacher event in the fall.

10. Cindy on June 28, 2013 at 1:58 am said:

Would it be possible to get a copy of the original K-5 parent/student friendly CC standards? I like your new format, but also loved the 1st version. Thank you so much!

11. Do you have parent friendly standards for grades 6-8 in math?

12. Shelly on August 28, 2013 at 8:08 pm said:

Would you be willing to email the 5th grade version? Thanks!!!

13. Christy on September 3, 2013 at 7:14 pm said:

FIrst grade standards are missing some pages….they come up blank. Can you fix this?

• It seems to be working now. :)

• Still can’t see some of the pages on grade 1. Pages 2, 5 and 6 are blank. I love these sheets and want to use them for back to school night on Wednesday Sept. 11th. Thanks.

• Can you see the standards on your computer? I’m not sure why they are blank when you try to print them. There is a way to get around this and print them if you can see them on your computer. Bring up the page you want to print. Hold the “Ctrl” and “Print Screen” (far upper right of keyboard) keys at the same time. Open Word (or similiar program). Click on the blank page in Word, and then hold the “Ctrl” and “v” keys at the same time. This will bring up the screen shot, and you can print from there. Whatever fits on your screen when you copy the page is what will show up on the Word document, so you might have to do two savings for each page to get it all on.
          I hope this helps. Have a great back to school night!

• I found more information here that might be helpful: http://www.signvideo.com/prnt-wb-pgs.htm One of the things it says you can do, is to try a different web browser (such as Firefox).

14. Cat Baker on September 7, 2013 at 12:16 am said:

Still having trouble with the first grade link. It seems that pages are missing or blank. I can only see page 2 of the math standards. These are great! Very concise! Thanks.